Stanford Medicine X | Health Care Design Awards
Medicine X is proud to announce the launch of our second annual international health care design awards! The program aims to encourage and recognize outstanding accomplishments and explorations in health care design according to our Medicine X health care design values and beliefs:
- We believe thoughtful design is essential to innovation in health care and medicine across all domains (education, clinical care and research);
- We believe health care design is better when done in partnership with patients;
- We believe that good design in health care involves the participation of the entire health care team, empathy for patients and their families, and a deep understanding of the social and local context where health happens;
- We believe in designing for problems that matter most in health care;
- The defining criteria for the Stanford Medicine X | Health Care Design Awards are excellence, innovation, and potential or proven ability to improve the quality of health through design.
The recipients of the 2016 Stanford Medicine X | Health Care Design Awards will be recognized in the following categories:
- Director’s Award: Given to an individual or group in recognition of outstanding support and leadership of patient and user-centered design excellence within the health care design community. This award is selected by the Executive Director of Medicine X.
- Design Excellence Medal: Given to an individual or group in recognition of excellence in one of the categories below demonstrating patient and user-centered design excellence (please note the jury may not recognize excellence in every category):
- Medical Product Design: Given to an individual or group of individuals for innovation in medical product or device design, including wearables and sensors.
- Health Care Systems Design: Given to an individual or group of individuals for innovation in health care business and organizational design.
- Mobile and Digital Health: Given to an individual or group of individuals for innovation and excellence in applications, connected devices, or other solutions that enable mobile health.
- Education in Health: Given to an individual or group of individuals for innovation and excellence in the design of educational programs in patient-centered health.
- Patient-Driven/Patient-Designed: Given to an individual or group of individuals who self-identify as patients to recognize excellence in designing a health care solution for their community.
- Collaboration in Health Care: Given to a product, service, or process that improves collaboration and communication between any of the people involved in health care (providers, patients, staff, caregivers, etc.)
Final award categories are subject to change. Students and individuals with conceptual submissions are welcome to apply.
Recipients will be acknowledged with a Medicine X | Design Excellence Medal and participate in a special session during Medicine X 2016.
Design award entries will be judged by the Stanford Medicine X Council of Health Care Designers, a distinguished nomination-based group that provides expert advice to Medicine X in the area of health care design. These designers come from a wide variety of fields and will work collaboratively to judge the awards. The jury will be led by council co-chairs Dennis Boyle and Katie McCurdy, and executive director of Stanford Medicine X Dr. Larry Chu. Submissions will be judged based on evidence of the following: need, impact, potential, and patient- or user-centered design.
How to nominate
Nominations are now open and are extended until June 14, 2016 at 5PM PDT—there is no application fee. Please note you can nominate your own work or the work of someone else. Apply today online.