ideo design challenge
IDEO, 150 Forest Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301
Thursday, September 14, 2017
Placing patients at the center of the design thinking process
Stanford Medicine X is once again joining forces with Palo Alto-based firm IDEO to offer ePatients the opportunity to collaborate with designers, researchers, technologists and health-care providers to spark new ideas for improving patient care.
- Start the day with a tour of IDEO’s headquarters led by IDEO founder Dennis Boyle, and learn about the inspiration behind some of the coolest inventions in Silicon Valley’s rich history of innovation.
- Team up with ePatients who have real-world experience managing a chronic disease and who uses technology to help facilitate his or her own care.
- Practice design thinking with the guidance of IDEO founder, Dennis Boyle and his incredible team of designers.
- Learn rapid prototyping and ideation methods from IDEO to solve a patient-centered health problem as a unified team. Each team will work through the design-thinking process to develop potential solutions.
- Inspire collaboration and ignite creativity among a diversity of thinkers, both challenge participants and Medicine X audience members.
8:00 Arrive at 150 Forest Avenue, Palo Alto; light breakfast and coffee
8:30 Tour of IDEO Palo Alto studios
9:30 Welcome, Overview of the day, Introductions by all, sit in teams
10:15 Overview of Design Thinking process and team project
10:45 Homework discussion in groups, meet your e-patient and facilitator; start the project!
11:15 Understand and Observe session
12:00 Working Lunch
1:00 Downloading and Synthesis
1:30 Brainstorming and Conceptualizing
2:30 Prototyping and Testing
3:30 Prepare project presentations
4:30 Individual design teams present to overall group
5:30 Wrap-up of the day; wine & cheese reception
IDEO was an extraordinary experience. I met tons of new contacts, including entrepreneurs, physicians, investors. I was really impressed by this culture of support, creativity and change that Medicine X cultivates — conference attendee
I never thought that design thinking could help me to heal. This was a healing experience because I learned that anything is possible to co-create better options people with my condition — 2016 IDEO ePatient workshop attendee.
Fantastic education experience in the design process — past IDEO challenge participant.